Friday, February 5, 2010

How to Make a Sinful French Press Coffee

Seriously, I need to be smacked, spanked, slapped and all of the above. I have made delicious coffee, consistently now, for about four or five mornings in a row and I really can't believe I'm the one that created cup after glorious cup.

It is truly (wait, I have to sip, close my eyes, and pause for dramatic effect) delicious liquid velvet bliss; dark, sensuous, beautiful and oooo la la! It is a reminder that a simple thing, like coffee, when obsessively perfected to bring out its best character, is definitely worth the effort. Once you fuss over the small details, you will memorize best techniques and thus making French Press coffee every day will become a simple task.

So, here is how you do it:


Equipment:
French Press of any type (I use an IKEA $10 press) (Update: my IKEA fell apart, I now own a Bodum)
Digital thermometer  (you will need this for many other uses)
Tea Kettle or Pyrex Measuring cup
Wooden Spoon
Optional: Coffee Bean Grinder with a coarse setting such as Mr. Coffee IDS77 Electric Coffee Grinder with Chamber Maid Cleaning System, Black (Update: I've been told that it's better to grind them at the store where you buy them because it is a burr grinder and you will get a more even texture.)

Ingredients:
6 Tbsp Coffee Beans (I have found that beans with a stronger, more pronounced aroma do better in a press than the milder aroma beans, but that's my personal preference)
16 oz. Water
Sugar and Half n' Half to taste

Procedure:
Make sure your grinder and french press is clean. Any coffee residue leftover from the day before will impart bitter or rancid flavors to your coffee.
Boil 16 oz. of water to precisely 195-200 degrees. I noticed that it reaches this temperature when the water is almost to boiling and has tiny bubbles. Check the temp the first couple of times you do it to understand how long it takes.
While water is boiling, grind coffee beans and pour them into the press.
Pour water over the grounds and let steep for 30 seconds.
Using the handle of a wooden spoon, stir the grounds for about 30 seconds.
Pur the press lid on without plunging (leave the plunger up) and steep the coffee for 4 minutes.
Then, VERY SLOWLY, press the grounds down to the bottom.

Pour and enjoy!

Note: French Press coffee cannot stay in the french press or it will continue to steep and become bitter.

Next study: Fried chicken, or something, while I wait for my damn book to get here.

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the song tiny bubbles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember giving you some more specifics when i helped you with that new press. ;)
    totally diggin' the blog.
    adam (you're favorite kitchen store helper...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this Adam. Thanks so much. You gave me some great advice and I'm loving my new press. :) I'll be in tomorrow for a salmon class as I'm also terrible at making fish. I'm glad I made a foodie friend at the store. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Let's Scare Up This Old Blog