Saturday, February 6, 2010

Blizzards n' Biscuits

The snowpocalypse is upon us and what better way to spend the day by fixing my site, which I have done (woohoo!), and figuring out how to make biscuits good enough to make people come shovel the snow out of my driveway to get one.

I have a real problem with using vegetable shortening in anything. That crapola is just
bad for your veins. But most biscuit recipes call for it. And I'm willing to use it if it means I'm not going to be throwing biscuit rocks at the wall in a fit of frustration. Lucky for me, during my last trip to Barnes n' Noble, I picked up a copy of Julia's Kitchen Wisdom. I was so inspired by that movie, Julie & Julia that I wanted to pick up Julia Child's old tome, Mastering the Art of French Cooking but my wallet told me I better get the smaller book. (By the way, I had no idea that Julia Child actually went to Le Cordon Bleu and took authoring her book very seriously. Thanks to movies, I know this now and have respect for her).

As it turns out, Julia's Kitchen Wisdom is a gem of a little book. As I leafed through, I exclaimed "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit!" - in my head. Lo and behold, a biscuit trick that calls for zero vegetable shortening and the use of cake flour.

So, I'm gonna try it. Might as well. There's a blizzard outside and what better way to spend the night shivering, scowling at the vision of snow around my house and eating warm biscuits. I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

With Love,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Scare Up This Old Blog